Some thoughts on the recent urban tensions that we’ve been experiencing lately. There are many ugly realities that we need to face in order to talk about this.
- What is urban tension? In short, this is just another term for racial tensions.
- I had thought that when we elected a black president, it would have become obvious that the amount of racism in this country has dropped to an all-time low and that it’s really not an issue anymore.
- Much of it is driven by the poor economy. If people were making a good living and there was a healthy job market, people would not be as interested in protesting.
- We’re told that the unemployment rate is under 8%, but it’s a lie. The figure is manipulated to produce the best result possible for the government. I’ve talked about this before and there have been numerous news articles that illustrate the same. But, we know this, it isn’t knew.
- Racial, or urban tension is the current scapegoat for minorities that are poor and jobless. Whether it’s true or not isn’t the issue.
- Don’t get me wrong; I’m not trying to say or imply that being a minority means that you are poor, or just because you’re poor and/jobless that you’re a minority. There are plenty of Americans in all shapes, sizes and colors that are are in a bad economic predicament.
- Let’s be honest with ourselves. The Zimmerman verdict is a convenient excuse to vent anger and frustration about the current state of affairs in the country.
- Because, there are many people, that have been killed by members of a different race that they could have chosen to protest over, but this is the one with a high enough profile that they can rally everyone behind.
- But let’s not get caught up in the details of whether or not people should be protesting the Zimmerman verdict, as that’s not the issue we need to be worried about.
As preppers, what we need to be concerned about is how these protests can affect us.
- There is a lot of tension currently in this country; globally, actually.
- We’re currently seeing what happens when disgruntled people are sparked into action.
- There is a massive amount of people that depend on government aid for their daily survival. Without it, they would immediately become destitute with no recourse for providing for themselves or their family. What happens when this occurs?
- Over the past year or so, several writers have outlined what we can expect when these urban tensions explode. Many of them have centered on what happens when the EBT cards stop working; these are the cards that people use like credit cards for their government assistance.
This topic has been written about by several authors, but here’s one that is worth revisiting: Bracken: When The Music Stops – How America’s Cities May Explode In Violence.