If you’re going to be in the area this weekend, make sure to head over to Prepper Fest Az and check out all of the great classes and vendors booths. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to attend this season’s Prepper Fest, but it’s a top notch preparedness expo and worth the trip.
For those of you who have been following me on this blog and on the podcast (which hasn’t had a recent episode lately – hopefully I’ll be able to put out one soon), you know I am not terribly worried about this current Ebola outbreak. While the outbreak has been bad in Africa, the modern healthcare system we have in this country (and other 1st world countries) would make such an outbreak of that magnitude far less likely to occur. Not to say that we won’t see Ebola in the US, and in fact we have, but it hasn’t blown out of control.
However, AlertsUSA put out a news alert this morning that is very troubling: “FLASH: CDC insider tells AlertsUSA that U.S. hospitals being advised to NOT publicly report suspected / confirmed Ebola cases using privacy laws as shield.” This is troubling because, without transparency, we are unable to trust what we’re being told about a given situation. The Federal Government’s typical position is to evade and be shady, and then they wonder why citizens don’t trust the government.
The misinformation and disinformation we have to deal with on any given situation is 50% of why we need to be prepared; We can’t trust what we’re being told. If you haven’t already, update your preparedness plan for pandemic scenarios. Learn from what is happening right now, and make a plan to deal with it. Talk to your family about what you need to do during a deadly pandemic. In a PNW last week, I listed some items you should consider adding to your preps. Prices on these are increasing and stocks are dwindling, due to increasing orders. Don’t wait until items are unavailable. For example, the storage food industry has seen a 300% increase in orders since the first came of American Ebola.
- Homeland Security To Restrict West Africa Travelers Entry To America
- Ebola health workers must be covered head to toe, say new US guidelines
- Ebola’s 395 Mutations Boost Odds of Epidemic Spreading
- Ebola Exposed Students Go Back To School
- Obama’s New ‘Ebola Czar’ a No Show, Skipping Meetings and Briefings
- Survival Medicine Hour: Ebola, Influenza, and More
Prepping and General Interest
- Musical Targets
- First Look: Steyr AUG A3 M1
- Aimpoint Carbine Optic
- 10 min project: 20 Reasons to add trash bags to your supplies
- Sheltering in Place can be Easy If You Plan
- A Source of Inexpensive Solar Panels.
- Grid Down So How Do You Pump Water from Your Well
- Basic Steps to Maintain Your Core Temperature
- Five Emergency Survival Tools
- Homemade Kings Hawaiian Rolls
- Traveling In the Winter: How To Be Prepared
- Preparedness: Getting Your Loved Ones Involved in Your Prepping
- Purifying Water with Chlorine Bleach and Pool Chlorine
- 19 Very Surprising Facts About The Messed Up State Of The U.S. Economy
- One-third of working Americans support two-thirds of the population: The hidden figures of those not in the labor force and transfer payments.
Science, Nature and Tech
If you have find a news story or prepping-related article, send it in.
This is a curated list of news stories and articles having interested to the preparedness community. None of the above should be considered an endorsement or an attempt to push any particular agenda by the Preparedness Podcast. They’re simply presented here as an informative source.