While the panic grows over Ebola, yellow fever mosquitoes, which can transmit dengue, chikungunya, and yellow fever itself, have been found in the Los Angeles area. It’s a grim reminder we are facing more than one potential scenario, so don’t get blindsided because you’re too focused on a single issue.
If you have been waiting to purchase any food or supplies, you might want to rethink your time table, as these items are beginning to dwindle and shipping times are being extended. This is occurring because people, both preppers and non-preppers, are looking at the situation and grabbing what they can. It’s not difficult to realize we cannot rely on the authorities to either do the right thing or protect us, and this is part of the reason for the panic.
Let’s talk about what “airborne” means, as many people – particularly the media – have no clue. There is a difference between “airborne” and “aerosolized.” Think of aerosolized as like throwing a baseball; it’s in the air, but only for a short period of time and it doesn’t travel very far. Airborne is what happens when you throw a handful of flour at the wall; many of the flour particles become suspended in the air, float on air currents, and can travel far from the source. Influenza is airborne. Ebola is aerosolized.
There’s also a lot of news stories covering how healthcare workers are becoming infected, even though they are protected. Remember, even the best in PPE can’t protect you if you take it off improperly. Some articles are hinting this strain of Ebola is “different” or is magically penetrating protective hazmat suits. Neither of these are true. The simple, and unfortunate, truth is healthcare workers have no training on how to don and doff protective gear (or what proper protection is needed). When looking at the numerous videos on how to protect yourself, including those from doctors, the amount of errors made is the tell. People are trusting the people making these videos to know what they’re talking about, especially when it’s a doctor, and they are becoming infected from the bad advice.
- Are Blood Transfusions the Key to Beating the Ebola Outbreak?
- The Ebola crisis in Liberia in pictures
- WHO predicts 9,000 cases by week’s end as UK medics arrive in west Africa live updates
- CDC director warns Ebola like ‘forest fire’ as Congress readies for hearing
- CDC On Ebola: Americans Are Screwed
- WHO Projects 10,000 New Ebola Cases Per Week Within Next Couple Months
- Healthcare Workers Worldwide Revolt as Ebola Threat Zeroes In
- Dallas Mayor: Second Nurse with Ebola ‘More Progressed’ Than First
- Report: CDC Told Nurse Who Contracted Ebola She Could Board Plane with Low-Grade Fever
- Nurses to Obama: Use Executive Action to Mandate Ebola Protocols for Hospitals
- Beck: Ebola Response ‘Criminally Incompetent’
- NIH Spent Millions Studying Origami Condoms, Poop-Throwing Chimpanzees Instead of Ebola
- African Leaders: Ebola Could Lead to Food Crisis
- Nurses: ‘We’ve Been Ignored’ by White House, CDC
- Second Strain of Ebola Identified in The Congo: Mortality Rate at 71 Percent
- Dallas Private School Parents Consider Keeping Kids Home As Ebola Spreads
- White House Reluctant to Say Who Is in Charge of Ebola Response
- Ebola Patient May Have Been Symptomatic When She Flew
- Texas Rep: Do Not Treat Ebola As An ‘International Diplomacy or Civil Rights Issue’
- Cuban Government Bans Doctors Fighting Ebola in Africa from Returning if They Get Sick
- Thanks To Obama’s Incompetence, Ebola Is Now Out Of Control In America
- Second Ebola-Infected Nurse Identified, Was Symptomatic With 99.5 Degree Fever While Flying
- It Begins: HazMat-Wearing Passenger Spotted At Airport
- Did Obama Just Raise The Ebola Threat Level?
- 2nd Ebola Patient’s Akron, Ohio Family Home Cordoned Off
- CDC AUTHORIZED EBOLA AIRLINE FLIGHT
- Dallas Commissioners Will Declare State Of Disaster Tomorrow Over Ebola
- Ebola: How Worried Should We Be? – Chris Martenson | Peak Prosperity
- The Head of the CDC Was Behind the Big Gulp Soda Ban In New York
- WHO Shocked At 427 Ebola-Infected Healthcare Workers As Cases Top 9000, Deaths Exceed 4500
- The Idiotic Explanation Why The “Idiot With The Clipboard” Was Unprotected
- 2nd Nurse Comes down with Ebola: Flew across Country While infected
- If A Few Ebola Cases Can Make The Stock Market Crash This Much, What Would A Full-Blown Pandemic Mean?
- The “”Ebola Plane” Made Five More Flights Before It Was Grounded
- This Report Confirms: You Can’t Rely On Government During A Pandemic
- Airborne Ebola
- Ebola Virus Disinfection With Bleach
- Medical Research Org CIDRAP: Ebola Transmittable by Air
Prepping and General Interest
- 10 Amazing Ways to Use Coffee Grounds You Didn’t Know About
- Self-Rising Biscuits
- Shooting .22 Pellets Using Nail Gun Blanks
- What to Watch For: The NEW ArmaLite
- Newly Manufactured M1 Carbines By MKS Supply
- At the Range: Ruger LC9s
- How to Preserve Peppers
- Why Some Individuals and Groups will fail to survive.
- Will a Fence Protect You When the Grid Goes Down?
- The Shack – An Incredible, Tiny Off Grid Retreat
- Prepping for Senior Citizens if SHTF
- Hydroponics – A Peek Into The Future Of Gardening
- Make Your Harvest Last Longer By Building a Root Cellar
- Sausage and Egg Muffins
- Bucket Backpack Review
- Bug In Or Bug Out? Why Conventional Wisdom May Be Wrong
- This Little Weed is one of the Most Useful Medicines on the Planet
- Winter Emergency Supplies: Get ‘Em While It’s Still Warm!
- Netherlands Legalizes Dutch Biker Gang’s Fight Against ISIS
- Yellow Fever Mosquitoes Hit L.A. County
- Chrysler Recalls 747,000 Jeep And Dodge Vehicles For Electrical, Alternator Issues
- Putin Warns Of “Nuclear Power Consequences” If Attempts To Blackmail Russia Don’t Stop
- John Williams: Reality Of No Economic Recovery Means Collapse
- The stock market correction has arrived: Massive global volatility, central bank wizardry, geo-political instability, and people finally realizing how overvalued the market has become.
- Stock Market Plunge: Airline Stocks Tank on Ebola Fears
- Trend Analyst on Stocks: “If The Dow Drops Below 15,000… I Would Suggest People Start Buying Food & Ammo”
Science, Nature and Tech
If you have find a news story or prepping-related article, send it in.
This is a curated list of news stories and articles having interested to the preparedness community. None of the above should be considered an endorsement or an attempt to push any particular agenda by the Preparedness Podcast. They’re simply presented here as an informative source.