We’re hearing a lot about how the healthcare worker for the US Ebola Index Patient became infected with Ebola, even though they wore “protective gear.” However, what seems to be lacking in these stories is the type of PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) used. Everyone is making a big deal about becoming infected while wearing PPE, but everyone is also overlooking that unless your PPE provides 100% coverage, you’re not protected.
Case in point: Watch this video about the “Ebola kits” that “UCLA Infectious Disease Experts” have assembled. Notice how there is no protection for the top and back of the head. The hair is completely exposed, as it the back of her pants. One cough or sneeze and the projected sputum is deposited on these unprotected areas. Not to mention, improper removal of PPE can infect you just as easily.
I’ve said it before, but it bears repeating. Ignorance, complacency, and improper PPE and procedures is the cause for healthcare workers becoming infected. Ebola is relatively difficult to contract; imagine if this was a pandemic influenza.
Learn the facts. Learn how to protect yourself. Prepare now.
- National Security Expert: ISIS Jihadists Could Infect Themselves with Ebola to Become ‘Bioweapons’
- Ebola Expert: Without Dramatically Faster Response Millions of Ebola Cases Coming
- Obama, CDC Contradict Each Other over Ebola Safety on Public Transportation
- New Texas Ebola Case: Worker Wore Protective Gear
- CDC Didn’t Monitor Anyone Who Came in Contact With Duncan at Hospital
- CDC Says More Cases of Ebola Possible in US
- CDC Admits Ebola Protocols Need to Be ‘Enhanced’
- Second Ebola Patient’s House Sealed; Reverse 911 Calls to Neighbors
- Hospital Confuses Public Over Ebola ER Shutdown
- ABC Chief Medical Expert: CDC Wrong, All US Hospitals Can’t Treat Ebola Safely
- Daily Mail: U.S. Surgeon General ‘Missing in Action’ on Ebola
- How Ebola Affects The Body
- Ebola And The Five Stages Of Collapse
- Panic Over Ebola: Airline Strikes, Banned Flights, Experimental Drugs
- 4 Reasons Ebola Can’t Be Stopped
- How to keep Ebola from destroying the U.S. hospital system
- 2ND Person In US Contracts Ebola — Had Contact With Duncan And Wore Protective Suit
- First case of Ebola transmission in U.S. Confirmed: Texas Nurse Has Ebola
Prepping and General Interest
- ‘Mommy My Hands are Going Numb’: Enterovirus Sweeps the U.S.
- Ammo Prices: 10/10/2014
- Salt, What Type Should You Store?
- Bugging Out During a Pandemic
- City Dwellers Safeguarding Your Emergency Essentials and Firearms during an Outbreak
- How to be a Prepper…But Not One of Those Crazy Ones
- Survival Gear Review: Ontario Falcon Knife
- How To Build An Off-Grid Home From Dirt
- Survival Resources You Can Find in Your Vehicle
- Essential for understanding survival is understanding reality of death and dying
- 3 Herbs for SHTF Hygiene
- How do You Carry Your Prepping Information in a Bug Out?
- What Rampaging Mice can Do To Your Preps
- A Food Storage Failure
- Pressure Canning As A Backup To Prevent Meat Spoilage
Science, Nature and Tech
If you have find a news story or prepping-related article, send it in.
This is a curated list of news stories and articles having interested to the preparedness community. None of the above should be considered an endorsement or an attempt to push any particular agenda by the Preparedness Podcast. They’re simply presented here as an informative source.