Just finished uploading episode #19 which covers Pandemic Flu. It’s the scoop on the real info about pandemic flu and what you can do to prepare for them.
Podcast Feeds (use whichever is more convenient):
- Feedburner: feed://feeds.feedburner.com/ThePreparednessPodcast
- iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=300822055
- Direct: http://thepreparednesspodcast.com/podcasts/podcast.xml
Below are the show notes:
Unless you have been living under rock, you have no doubt heard about the Swine Flu. This show is going to be all about Pandemic Flu, and Swine Influenza A H1N1. There is a lot of bad information being passed around, so we’re going to address the facts and realities of Pandemic Flu.
Facts and status of the flu as of 4-29-2009.
- 91 laboratory confirmed human cases in US
- 1 confirmed death in the US
- More than 160 deaths in Mexico (not all have been 100% confirmed, but that’s Mexico for you).
- Pandemic Alert Level 5
- This is a new virus – no one has seen it before and no one has any immunity to it.
Really Good FAQ on Swine Flu:
Flu Transmission Simulation:
How does this flu compare to other pandemic flu?
– Swine flu of 1976
– Spanish Flu of 1918-1919
Spanish Flu Facts:
Some Pandemic Flu sites:
Build your own safe room fan filter:
Mask Model Numbers:
N95 – 3M 8211
N100 – 3M 8233
Use Calcium Hypochlorite to Disinfect Water
Reputable places that sell masks online:
Topics of discussion
- Is this serious? What’s the big deal about this flu when it hasn’t killed anywhere near as many as seasonal flu?
- It might not be bad now, but the worry is that it could mutate so.
- Prevention, isolation, quarantine
- What masks and other PPE? N95 vs N100?
- How long do the masks last?
- Reusing masks?
- Mask vents
- Cost of PPE compared to other insurance policies
- Be prepared for quarantined, or partial quarantine (like a school closing)
- What to store?
- How long to store food (etc.) for (maybe several waves of a pandemic flu)
- Decon stuff