Non-Firearm Defense Options
Keep in mind that non-firearm weapons have much less range and are not as effective in stopping an attacker. If you are looking into non-lethal or non-firearm weapons because you don’t want to hurt or kill anyone, you need to do some deep thinking on the topic. Anyone that breaks into your home, especially if they know that you’re inside, intends to harm you, one way or another.
Whatever the reason they decide to enter your home, the fact that they do so knowing that you’re inside tells you that they aren’t afraid of you and will “take you out” if you get in their way. It’s also likely that you’re their target for entering in the first place. When you’re facing a criminal attitude like that, there is no being “Mr. Nice Guy” with them. You need to stop the threat as fast as possible.
When it comes down to brass tacks, a firearm is best for defense. Period. However, there are times when you either can’t have one or don’t want one, and you need a non-firearm defensive tool. The below list is some of the more common that you’ll come across.
Types (no particular order):
- Edged weapons
- Blunt weapons
- walking sticks
- axe handle
- Cold Steel has those unbreakable canes
- Military, police and martial art weapons (PR24, Tonfa, etc.)
- Technology weapons
- pepper spray
- bug sprays (massive legal issues)
- stun gun
- Biological – dogs
- rocks in a sock
- kitchen cutlery
- door bar
- propane torch
- large flashlight
- When you need to stop an attacker, there is no substitute for a firearm, even if the attacker is “unarmed.”
- You need training and practice to be effective with any of these, including firearms.
- All of these weapons need a backup. When police use a Taser, they know they have a firearm backup if it fails, and it often does.
- Having to use a weapon, any weapon, means that your home defense has failed. Make sure that you harden your home against intrusion. Make it as difficult as possible for someone to get in.
- If someone breaks into your home, they’re not there for tea and crumpets. Don’t assume the best. If they have broken in knowing that you are home, then they will be violent and intend to hurt you. There is no discussion you need to get into, you need to stop them before they can hurt you or your family. Period.