(Previously billed as Episode 19)
Unless you have been living under rock, you have no doubt heard about the Swine Flu. This show is going to be all about Pandemic Flu, and Swine Influenza A H1N1. There is a lot of bad information being passed around, so we’re going to address the facts and realities of Pandemic Flu.
Facts and status of the flu as of 4-29-2009.
– 91 laboratory confirmed human cases in US
– 1 confirmed death in the US
– More than 160 deaths in Mexico (not all have been 100% confirmed, but that’s Mexico for you).
– Pandemic Alert Level 5
– This is a new virus – no one has seen it before and no one has any immunity to it.
Really Good FAQ on Swine Flu:
Flu Transmission Simulation:
How does this flu compare to other pandemic flu?
– Swine flu of 1976
– Spanish Flu of 1918-1919
Some Pandemic Flu sites:
Build your own safe room fan filter:
Mask Model Numbers:
N95 – 3M 8211
N100 – 3M 8233
Use Calcium Hypochlorite to Disinfect Water
Topics of discussion
– Is this serious? What’s the big deal about this flu when it hasn’t killed anywhere near as many as seasonal flu?
– It might not be bad now, but the worry is that it could mutate so.
– Prevention, isolation, quarantine
– What masks and other PPE? N95 vs N100?
– How long do the masks last?
– Reusing masks?
– Mask vents
– Cost of PPE compared to other insurance policies
– Be prepared for quarantined, or partial quarantine (like a school closing)
– What to store?
– How long to store food (etc.) for (maybe several waves of a pandemic flu)
– Decon stuff